Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Rant: Music in General

 You might have noticed that I like music. In general I do, but there are things musicians and music lovers do that upsets me.

RANT TIME!


 I take issue with musicians doing the following things:

  • Including a lot of speaking into the track, or interrupting the music for a rant or conversation. When you do this, it makes it difficult to put it in a mix, and I end up listening to it a lot less than I would otherwise. Also, can we stop with the whole "let's have kids sing the chorus at the end" thing in worship music. Please?
  • Weird, out of place, "random" sounds put in a track for no reason. It usually works in comedic stuff, but if you want to be taken seriously, don't do do this.
  • Related: Inserting sounds like alarm clocks, ringing phones, and car horns into the music. Don't even get me started on fake radio broadcasts.
  • Songs that have a super long intro. If your song is lyrically based, it shouldn't take a minute and a half for the singing to start.
  • Songs being split into different tracks. I'm not talking about distinct songs that just happen to blend together, those are fine. What I'm talking about is when the intro or ending to a song is given it's own track for no reason. Guys, it just means that whenever I hear that song on shuffle, I skip past it.
  • Similarly, two songs on one track. I don't care if one of them is super short, just give it a track of it's own and be done with it. On that note:
  • Hidden tracks. They were great back in the days of vinyl records and cassettes tapes, but they've long overstayed their welcome.

I take issue with music listeners doing the following things:
  • Hating on people who enjoy the same kind of music as you, because of how they found it(Might be a variation on it's popular, now it sucks). This is a huge issue, and for the life of me I can't figure out why. This mostly takes the form of "like if you heard this in [video game/movie]," "OMGWTF RUINED FOREVER!!!"
  • Listening to your music outside, at excessive volumes, without headphones, at 2 in the morning. I know everyone hates this, but this is something my neighbors do a lot. Also, why don't the ones who play their music that loud ever listen to good music?(READ: music I like.) I love dubstep, like country, and am ok with rap, but if it's more than 80 decibels, it's not going to be the good stuff.
  • Hating on others for not liking your kind of music. Also, hating on people for listening to stuff you don't like. Hate the music, not the listener. This is more of a general issue, but it's worth mentioning here. 
  • Getting pissed off when an artist does the same thing for more than one album, then screaming when they change their sound at all. You can't have it both ways.

Ok, I'm done.

Did I miss anything?



 I have a confession to make. Before Monday night, I had never actually watched an episode of Friendship is Magic. I had read plot summaries and seen countless clips, but had never taken the time to track down the Pilot. My apologies for deceiving you. 

 That said, HOLY CRAP THIS SHOW IS AWESOME!!!

 After seeing so many riffs on the early episodes, I figured I'd just have to muddle through until season 2, but I am enjoying season 1 quite a bit more than I expected. I just finished Boast Busters, and I can definitely see why (THE GREAT AND POWERFUL) Trixie is such a popular character. I'm really look forward to Dragonshy, Sonic Rainboom, and Party of One. I'll keep you updated on my progress, and I may start doing more analysis once I've caught up.

 As my boss used to say, "Stay golden, pony boy."

 God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it polite.