Monday, July 27, 2015

My Take: Target's Trophy Shirt

WARNING: This post contains sensitive topics and harsh words. Also contains language. Proceed with caution.



 Target has been selling this shirt:

 The internet is pretty much up in arms about it.

 One commentator said, "I wish I could say that the decision to make this shirt was a simple oversight, but the truth is that dozens of people had to approve this before it hit store shelves, and that is a serious problem."


 Do I agree? Do I think that something like this is actually a big deal?



 Buck yes, this is a big deal. What the hell were they thinking? I don't really care for the "attitude" type shirts, but this is beyond the pale, even for those.


Target representative Molly Snyder released a statement regarding the outcry:

“It is never our intention to offend anyone and we always appreciate receiving feedback from our guests. The shirt you’re describing is part of a collection of engagement and wedding shirts that are available in our women’s and plus size departments. The collection also included shirts that say 'Team Bride,' 'Mrs.' and 'Bride.' These shirts are intended as a fun wink and we have received an overwhelmingly positive response from our guests."

 I notice that the statement very carefully says "these shirts," meaning the whole collection.


 I don't care what the intention was; things that perpetuate cultural artifacts, such as the concept of "trophy wives," are unacceptable.

 I won't go into the idea that this also perpetuates rape culture; Others have already covered that, including a petition to get the shirt removed.



 Ok, let's take a step back for a moment. Even with all the anger directed at Target for making and selling this shirt, some people(women mostly) are asking why this is such a big deal, with many even supporting Target for one reason or another.


 One post I saw put it something like this: "I don't understand the uproar. Who wouldn't like the idea of being some guy's prize?" Another put forward the idea that a smart, successful woman might like guys having to compete for her.


That would be all well and good, except the idea of trophies in general, and "trophy wives" in particular, is that the person who has them accomplished something impressive, so they get it by right. It also implies that the trophy, whether literal or figurative, belongs to them, but not the other way around. I could see the idea of being each other's trophies, but if that's true, why is Target not also selling men's versions of this shirt?



 Others have pointed out that "trophy husband" shirts do exist, and no one is upset about those. To that I say that the very concept of a "trophy husband" runs counter to the sexism and inequality that is still rampant in our culture. Unless those are being sold by the same retailer at the same time, the problem remains.



Lastly, there seems to be a lot of people saying "If you don't like it, don't buy it. Target sells other shirts."



 "All that is required for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."-Attributed to Edmund Burke


 "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing."-John Stuart Mill


 “If we could change ourselves, the tendencies in the world would also change. As a man changes his own nature, so does the attitude of the world change towards him. ... We need not wait to see what others do.”-Mahatma Ghandi


 "Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good." Romans 12:9b



 We cannot simply ignore society's problems, and expect things to get better. We're better than that. We can choose to change the world, even if only in some small way.




 I finished watching Season 5 of Adventure Time over the weekend. I think I'm going to write an "impressions" post about it. Look for it in the coming weeks.


 I did some reorganizing over the weekend, which gave me some time to think. I'm still not sure where my life is headed, but for now I am content.



 God bless.

1 comment:

  1. It is pretty tasteless. But with as many people have criticized it, I don't expect it to be available for too much longer.

    Come on Target, you can be better than this.

    ReplyDelete

Keep it clean, keep it polite.