Monday, July 13, 2015

My Take: Losing the Love

 Sometimes people leave the fandom that they used to love so much. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but it is often difficult for others in the fandom to accept. In their minds, anyone who leaves has become the enemy, and must be converted or destroyed.

 I reject this assumption. True, while former fans can become the most outspoken critics of something, more often they look on their prior love with fondness and nostalgia, while also realizing that it is no longer what they want to focus on. 

 We've seen this many times recently, particularly among musicians and artists leaving the brony community. Five Nights at Freddy's, Splatoon, Terraria, and many others have captured the attention of those who used to focus on My Little Pony, while some have left to pursue their careers or become professionals in their chosen craft. 

 While I cannot say that all of them look back on the community with fondness (indeed, some left because of the very folks who condemn them for leaving), I have seen many, many people who still have friends who are bronies, and still collaborate with them on projects, pony-related or not.


 I guess what I'm trying to say is this: If you want to leave, if you feel that this is no longer where you want to be, if you feel overwhelmed by everything this fandom is and does, then, please, do what you think you should. I hold no ill-will towards anyone who decides to leave. I will never attack you for making that decision, will continue to watch for your future projects with anticipation, and will generally treat you exactly the same.

 No one should be shamed for deciding to move on with their life. I expect that I will eventually get tired of MLP, and move on to other things. When that happens, I hope to be treated the same.



 Dang it, Microsoft! Why do you have to be doing everything right? With things like adding backwards compatibility, Halo 5 having a great E3 showing, and releasing an Xbox One with a 1 TB hard drive, Microsoft it doing everything right. Might be that I get an Xbox this time around. We'll see.

 In sadder news, Nintendo president and CEO Satoru Iwata died on Saturday. He was 55 years old.


God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it polite.