Wednesday, July 15, 2015

My Take: Fandom Music

 The question had been asked, "Why do we enjoy brony music more than other music?"

 My answer? We don't. Or at least I don't.


 For me, music has always been important, not just for filling silence, but because it is one of the things that inspires the most emotion in me. For some people, that's romantic movies, or being outdoors, or making art, but for me, it's music.

 My mood is largely dependent on the type of music I've been listening to, and that's probably the reason I became a brony in the first place. I was in a bad place emotionally when I first stumbled across MLP music on YouTube. The joy and hope coming from both the show and the fans, in the form of music, was exactly what I needed to get through that stage of my life, and it helped me become who I am today.


 But back to the original question: I don't feel like I enjoy brony music more, I just enjoy more brony music. Part of enjoying a song comes from knowing what the singer is talking about, and sharing or sympathizing with the emotion of the situation in the song. It's easier to get into the song if you already have a window into the singer's state of mind. With music based on the movies, video games, and TV shows we love so much, we already have insight into where the musician is coming from, and are already emotionally invested.

 This isn't just limited to MLP either. If you look at my own listening habits, I include songs from, or inspired by, things like Adventure Time, Disney movies, Portal, and Katamari Damacy. And there are ton of other songs that I first heard in connection with things like Red vs Blue, The Hunger Games, Burnout, and Mirror's Edge that still carry some extra emotion, because of what I associate them with.


 There's no reason to limit yourself to only the music coming out of one series or fandom, but there's also no reason to feel bad about listening the music from a thing you already like. Whatever you listen to, love it for what it is.


 If you haven't heard, Aftermath/Valico has decided to leave the community. His video about it is here. Him leaving and some discussions that resulted were the inspiration for both Monday's post, and today's.

 GeneralZoi put Pony Creator v3 back up on Sunday. I haven't had a chance to mess with it yet, but I'm looking forward to getting back into it.

God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it polite.