Monday, August 24, 2015

Impressions: Futurama Season 2

 I finished Futurama's second season during my week off, so I figure I should post my thoughts.

Spoilers ahoy! Beware ye also of harsh language. Censored it may be, but foals beware.


And here we go:


  • I Second That Emotion: Leela is every annoying per owner ever (and the others are enabling her.) Bender is every jealous sibling ever (and the others are enabling him.) And remember kids: Friends don't implant each other with emotion chips. "I can't. I love every living creature." "Even me?" "As a friend." "D***."
  • Brannigan, Begin Again: Nice to see call-backs and cameos starting early. Kif is one of a couple characters on this show that can't seem to catch a break (though if I remember correctly he does get the girl.) "If I die, tell my wife, 'Hello.' "
  • A Head in the Polls: The head museum seems to have changed dramatically since the pilot episode. Nixon is still a better president than The Boss of the Saints.
  • Xmas Story: Fry is hilariously reckless. "Oh, what the h***." How do make Santa Claus even more awesome? By making him a killbot. "♩Santa Claus is gunning you down!♩" Seeing Zoiberg happy, even for just a moment, gives me the warm fuzzies.
  • Why Must I Be a Crustacean in Love: Zoidberg is a BEAST! Amy's not the brightest, is she? Good thing she's rich. Leela is surprisingly fragile, but I guess with her childhood, how could she not be? 
  • The Lesser of Two Evils: It makes sense that robots come in model lines. Let me see if I have this right: Regardless of their roles in the story, good guy without beard=bad guy with beard , and good Guy with beard=bad guy without beard.
  • Put Your Head On My Shoulders: "The usual. Boiling lead, oceans of lava." "Sooo, what? Shorts?" Zoidberg gets no love. When did Fry get such an overinflated opinion of himself? (Not using the obvious pun.)
  • Raging Bender: I understand now why Leela is always so angry. Let's see, Bender in a Tutu, Rich Little and George Foreman as wrestling commentators, and an alien puppetmaster. Did I just watch a cartoon or a fever dream? Come to think of it, a lot of the shows I watch are like that.
  • A Bicyclops Built for Two: The graphics leave something to be desired, but VR looks awesome! "Our smartest scientist managed to save one baby." When you say it that way, Jor-El looks like an idiot. I have to ask, is Fry really learning disabled? Because that would explain so much. Is there only one model of priest in the galaxy? Or is the same priest-bot?
  • A Clone of My Own: It's never really good news, is it? I know that Cubert is supposed to be irritating, but I'd like to say that the writers might have gone overboard. If it works, then it's obviously not impossible, you little snot! If nobody knows anything about these robots, how does Leela know about the Near-Death Star?*hehe*near death-star*hehe* Push on the universe, and the universe pushes back. It doesn't like to be pushed. I guess Cubert was "redeemed," but it didn't feel like it meant anything.
  • How Hermes Requisitioned His Groove Back: So, after a season and a half, they bring back characters from the pilot? Classy. Just how insane is the professor? With Hermes technically being a secondary character, his personality still hasn't developed past a handful of quirks and character traits. Did I really just see that? Did they really put a beholder in?
  • The Deep South: Dang! Amy's snarky! I guess that's the writers trying to make up for making her dumber. Bender is even more of a jerk when lives aren't on the line. *Sigh* Another blunt critique of american society? Let's just get through this.
  • Bender Gets Made: Elzar is a jerk? I honestly did not see that one coming. Incompetent, maybe, but not an outright jerk. The Professor has invoked "Zombie Jesus" at least twice now. Bender's model comes with a nose? Zoidberg, break, can't catch, you know the drill. I'm a little surprised that Bender wasn't cut out for organized crime.
  • Mother's Day: The robot apocalypse is funnier than I dared to hope. Other than that though: SQUICK!SQUICK!SQUICK!SQUICK!SQUICK! Please pass the brain bleachWhy didn't Mom just reactivate the robots?
  • The Problem with Popplers: "No, only what we need. . . Stuff the ship" That poor lion. Lrrr? Didn't see that coming. And him getting high? That was. . .different.
  • Anthology of Interest I: I've been looking forward to this one. Of course they used the Iron Man guitar riff (before it was popular.) I'm not sure I've seen Bender and Zoidberg fight before, at any size. Scruffy gets named. I remember seeing him somewhere earlier in the series, but I can't recall where. So, Bender dies, Leela kills everyone, and Fry destroys the universe. Good times.
  • War Is The H-Word: Nixon is still president? Makes sense. I mean it's only been a couple months. I honestly expected him to try stealing Bender's body again. Leela's disguise was surprisingly convincing. I wondered for a while if they'd have it be someone else after all. How long has she been wanting to punch Zapp Brannigan in the face? Fry looked very anime standing in the chopper. Even the line was anime. So, Bender doesn't call breaking old furniture "antiquing?"
  • The Honking: What's up with that priest bot? Is it following Bender around, hoping to get him back to robot hell? Calculon's first appearance in-person. . .er, in-robot. I think this is the first episode I ever saw, back when Fox was doing reruns. I have no idea when that was.
  • The Cryonic Woman: The mongols are still trying to invade? Or was it a reenactment, and the participants just went with it? Rant time! Michelle is a b****. She dumps fry for some random hot guy, then tries to get back together with him when her life falls apart. And when she does find him (literally 1000 years later,) she decides that he isn't allowed to be happy without her. She gets progressively more demanding and critical, and gets mad when he defends himself. I'm pissed off that she didn't get any comeuppance. Ok, rant over. "Social commentary," hehe.

 When will they stop using the "Leela slept with Zapp Brannigan" joke? Will Zoidberg ever catch a break? Will Fry ever get respect, whether or not he deserves it? I don't know either, but I'm gonna stay tuned to:

FUTURAMA

(Assuming of course that I can find the next season on DVD.)



 Before you ask, I don't like watching stuff online, because I have a lot of people in my house, and poor internet. Plus I'm too cheap to pay for Netflix or satellite. For the time being, it's DVDs for me.

 God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep it clean, keep it polite.